Friday, December 23, 2005

It's good to be a Patriot

Courtesy of an Indianapolis Colts loss last weekend, the 1972 Miami Dolphins remain the only undefeated team in NFL history since the league began playing the Super Bowl. My football history chops are shaky, so I don't know what happened before then. But I do know that at least one of this season's teams that someone told me was superior to the New England Patriots got their asses handed to them by those very Patriots last weekend.

Sure, Indianapolis may be playing it safe now that the team has more than guaranteed itself a playoff berth, but this is mere conjecture. For all we know, Indianapolis is losing momentum going into the playoffs.

A few things are certain:

The New England Patriots are gaining momentum. Tampa Bay is a tough team. We shut them out. That's a media spin-proof victory. Look for New England vs. Indianapolis in the AFC Championship. I won't predict the outcome, but mark my words: It's gonna happen.