Saturday, October 15, 2005

A Meme About Music...

Following is my contribution to the Favorite Songs Meme. Please excuse misspellings, typos, and any possible inaccurate names of songs. I don’t feel like checking my work or doing the research today.

Favorite Beatles song: I’ve been in a “Revolver” kind of mood for the past couple years. “She Said, She Said” and “Love You To” continually vie for top honors.

Favorite solo song by a former Beatle: McCartney: “Hell on Wheels”; Lennon: there’s a really cool one with a scratchy, stop-time guitar in it, but I’ve been searching iTunes and the Web for the past 15 minutes to no avail; Harrison: anything from “All Things Must Pass”; Starr: He wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles, according to Lennon.

Favorite Rolling Stones song: "Gimme Shelter" is pretty damn good, but “Heartbreaker” is my favorite.

Favorite Bob Dylan song: "Tangled up in Blue"

Favorite Pixies song: Never listened to them

Favorite Prince song: "U Sexy Mutha F*cker”…I hope I spelled this one “correctly.”

Favorite Michael Jackson song: “Billy Jean,” and yes, the dude’s a head case.

Favorite Metallica song: I never liked these guys. Sorry.

Favorite Public Enemy song: "Fight the Power”

Favorite Depeche Mode song: Never listened to them enough to know any songs

Favorite Cure song: “Friday I’m in Love”…but I would have preferred to list something by The Cult, like their cover of “Born to be Wild.”

Favorite song that most of your friends haven't heard: Air is a band that plays in a retro-techno style, and the song is an instrumental, “La Femme D’Argent”

Favorite Beastie Boys song: “She’s Crafty”

Favorite Police song: “Next To You”

Favorite Sex Pistols song: "Anarchy in the UK”...the only reason I include this song is because the dude says, "Antichrist," which is pretty cool. I've never really listened to these guys.

Favorite song from a movie: no particular song, but I really like the Moog organ interpretations of Beethoven in “Clockwork Orange” and the compositions in “Heat,” the mid-1990s flick starring both Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro

Favorite Blondie song: "Heart of Glass"

Favorite Genesis song: I’m one of those Peter Gabriel dudes when it comes to Genesis. Phil Collins was and always will be a one-man cheese factory, save for his first solo album, which gave us such gems as “I Don’t Care No More.” As for my favorite Genesis tune, it has to be “The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.”

Favorite Led Zeppelin song: I don’t listen to them as much as I used to, but that’s only because I listened to them so damn much all the way through my twenties. Don’t even start with me when it comes to Jimmy Page. As far as I’m concerned, he’s better than Hendrix. I know what you're thinking. He's sloppy. So what? I don't care. Shut up. My favorite Zeppelin song is a three-way tie between the nearly 30-minute-long, live version of “Dazed and Confused” from “The Song Remains the Same” live recording, “The Rover,” and “Achilles Last Stand.” “Ten Years Gone” is a delightful as well.

Favorite INXS song: “What You Need,” but I was never really into them. I liked that song they released during their late-‘90s comeback but forget its name.

Favorite Weird Al song: “Who’s Fat?” because it’s particularly clever, even for Al.

Favorite Pink Floyd song: “Dark Side of the Moon” still towers before us all as one of the ‘70s’ crowning achievements. I can never get enough of “Breathe,” especially the way “Speak to Me” runs into it. This has got to be one of the best-ever album openers.

Favorite cover song: I generally dislike covers, but Seal’s cover of The Steve Miller Band’s “Fly Like an Eagle” is a notable exception. The original ain't too bad, either, but I see The Steve Miller Band didn't make the cut on this list. Criminal.

Favorite dance song: “Night Fever”

Favorite U2 song: “Mysterious Ways”

Favorite disco song: "More than a Woman"

Favorite The Who song: “The Real Me”

Favorite Elton John song: I despise Elton John. I hate every single last one of his songs except for “Funeral for a Friend,” which, inexplicably, kicks ass.

Favorite Clash song: “Rock the Casbah”

Favorite David Bowie song: “Panic In Detroit”...and someone, please tell me. Are Bowie's lyrics in this song chronicling the U.S. auto industry's capitulation to Toyota et al.? Inquiring minds want to know.

Favorite Nirvana song: “Pennyroyal Tea”

Favorite Snoop Dogg song: “Gin and Juice”…Snoop was best with Dre.

Favorite Ice Cube song: "It Was A Good Day"...I agree with the 'Mudge on this one.

Favorite Johnny Cash song: his cover Soundgarden’s “Rusty Cage”…another rare exception to the general rule that I dislike covers. Who would've thought, listening to the original more than 10 years earlier, that it was such a logical Cash song, too?

Favorite R.E.M. song: I despise R.E.M. with a passion. Yes, I enjoy despising them. I don't like any songs by them. None whatsoever. Do you hear me?

Favorite Elvis song: “Suspicious Minds”…yes, my favorite Elvis tune is one from his ‘70s comeback. Perhaps I am sick? Has my obsession with the '70s crossed the line? Maybe. And I'm lovin' it.

Favorite cheesy-ass country song: I don’t like country songs, and I especially dislike cheesy-ass country songs. This includes even Led Zeppelin’s “Hot Dog,” which still managed to upset me when, as a young lad, I first heard it. Being a huge Zeppelin fan, I found my hatred worrisome. What did it say about my allegiance to Zeppelin? But, even during my formative years, my hatred of cheesy-ass country songs won out over my rabid love for Zeppelin. It just goes to show. Between love, hate and whatever else, the greatest of these is hate.