Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Bjorn Borg would agree

I just don’t get it. I don’t get how John McEnroe gets to get his own show [caution: preceding link features sound] on cable television with nary a peep from the intelligentsia.

McEnroe makes a better television show host than Martina Navratilova or Boris Becker would. I’ll cede as much to CNBC's programming team. They're right, and I agree with them. They probably also believe that Reagan was a better President than Bush Jr. and that early Hyundais were better cars than any Yugos. They could go on and on, and I'd agree with them in every case. Then I'd ask whether anyone in the boardroom would like to buy my friend's kid brother's circa. 1987 Hyundai Excel.

Know what I’m sayin’?

McEnroe likes to complain. McEnroe won’t shut up. McEnroe’s an egomaniac. McEnroe thinks he deserves the sun, the moon, and the stars. In short, McEnroe’s a baby. Famous babies who do one thing right can then do the baby thing right and always get what they want.

I get it now. And, besides, he does make me laugh. Maybe he deserves it.